Sunday, November 3, 2013

'12 Years a Slave'

We watched '12 Years a Slave' yesterday, it was really amazing and I think it's a possible Oscar contender. I thought it was very provoking and yet a very strong piece and seeing as it showed up in theatres as a more indie film, it has really grown in it's public appearance. Watched at the Arclight theatre and I must say the Arclight is really spoiling me even though it's $15 a ticket. I was really grateful that the audience I was with was really respectful, everyone followed the tone of the film thus allowing for a very enjoyable viewing of the piece. Lets just say my viewing of 'The Avengers' in my local cinema had a bunch of young children running around filled with a few raucous people yelling out things here and there.

*Spoiler Alert!* My favorite scene was where Chiwetel Ejiofor was hanging from a rope by his toes and that entire scene and as long as it was, was very powerful from the rhythmic squishing of his toes in the mud as he fights to stay alive and the presence of the other slaves in the background going on with their daily lives. The cinematography and editing choice in this piece were fantastic and it's a definite must see in the theatres!

No comments:

Post a Comment